Happy to say that I have been nominated for the Deutscher Jazz Preis in the Voice Category among fantastic colleagues. The results will be clear in the ceremony on April 27th
Next up for Cansu
- On April 13th I will be joining William Parker in Pierre Boulez Saal Berlin. So thankful to receive this invitation from Mr. Parker himself very freshly and that I’ll be joining this wonderful ensemble. More information on the concert
Kontrabass, Ophikleide, Obertonflöte, Gimbri, Hojok, Shakuhachi, PanflöteERNIE ODOOM
Basssaxophon, Shakuhachi, FlöteWU WEI
Sheng, ErhuJIN HI KIM
Elektrische GeomungoLEO CHANG
Stimme, Gongs, SchlagwerkARIEL BART
Voice & Electronics
- In December 2022 I recorded in Emil Berliner Studios (Guy Sternberg as the engineer) for the new exciting project of Nick Dunston including Weston Olencki, Moritz Baumgärtner, Maria Reich, Anıl Eraslan, Tal Yahalom, Isabel Crespo Pardo, Friedrike Merz and Sofia Jernberg. This album also includes a composition of Nick Dunston with the Jack Quartet. Music will be available in 2023 in Europe and USA.
- My new duo called Pep Talk w. Korhan Erel has started making a lot of music and booking for 2023 and 2024. Our İstanbul premiere is already in the calendar.
- In September 2023 I will be performing in Canada for the first time ever! This will also be the first concerts of my beloved duo with Jessica Ackerley on guitar+efx called bright bright.
- Skultura of Nick Dunston w. Liz Kosack, Eldar Tsalikov, Maria Portugal and Tanrikulu will also be releasing new music in 2023.
- My duo with the incredible Carol McGonnell (clarinet) is composing and recording two new repertoires at the same time during 2023 and premiering internationally (Ireland, Germany initially) in 2024.
- With Lucy Railton we have upcoming performances as a duo in Italy and booking for South America in 2024. Hit us up only from places of beauty and sun 🙂
A little interview from Leipziger Jazztage in 2021
Piled Up by Tanrikulu w. Lukas König (dr,efx), Nick Dunston (db, efx), Simon Jermyn (g) & Tanrikulu (comp, vox, efx)
Kantoj de Fermiteco feat. Marc Ribot w. Greg Cohen (db), Tobias Delius (cl, sax) & Tanrikulu (comp, film w. Daniella Imhoff)
MeoW w. Jim Black (dr), Liz Kosack (synth) & Dan Peter Sundland (b)
Eonta w. Carol McGonnell (cl) & Tanrikulu (voc, efx)
Tanrikulu in Anthony Braxton’s Sonic Genome – Jazzfest Berlin 2019
bright bright w. Jessica Ackerley (g, efx, comp) & Tanrikulu (voc, efx, comp)
Max Andrzejewski’s Hütte & Guests play Robert Wyatt’s Music
“Drank vs Drunk” on SA Recordings and Vocals on Sample Library of Spitfire Audio
My composition for solo voice+synth “Drank vs Drunk” is on this upcoming compilation from Spitfire Audio Recordings alongside works from Audrey Chen, Phil Minton, Ben Vida and Lea Bertucci. There’s also a sample library of experimental vocals coming up 💕 You can now use some prime grunts, screams, yodels, chirps and squeaks in your own tracks sung by us and curated by Lea Bertucci.
New Album Coming Up with James Banner’s USINE on KLAENG Records
USINE will be touring in Austria and Germany for promoting this beautiful new record very soon with Cansu on vocals and efx, James Banner (bass, comp), Declan Forde (piano) and Max Andrzejewski (drums).
Order and stream here:
New Duo with David August “Aşa” To Release First Single “Su” On This Compilation on 99CHANTS
The origins of Aşa go back to early 2020 when Cansu Tanrikulu and David August found themselves in the studio in Berlin within a time of global stagnation and high motivation to record their brewing ideas after having curated a friendship and musical connection throughout some years. The result aimed to combine both of their compositional worlds using the improvisational repertoire of Tanrikulu and the scope of sound design that August was working on at that time.
After two years of keeping their ideas in the dark — and reflecting on the drafts and recordings — an early session came back to the surface, transformed and readapted to the concept of an imaginary landscape – using this platform as an opportunity to debut this collaboration that is eager to explore its identity in longer formats in near future.
Order and stream here:
Cansu Tanrikulu & Matt Mitchell Duo
Cansu Tanrikulu & Trevor Dunn Duo
Kertenkele (w. Cenk Ergün & Nick Dunston)
Tanrikulu/Cohen/Delius – Ljubljana Jazzfestival
NOISS Collab w. Guðmundur Arnalds (electronics) & Ole Mofjell (drums) & Paulína Rónaiová (oboe) & Magnus Skavhaug Nergaard (double bass) – NEXT Festival Bratislava
A Door In The Mountain w. Sharmila Seyyid (writer/Sri Lanka/U.S.), Rayra Costa (electronics, no input / Brazil) & Gogoj a.k.a Sheng Jie (visual arts / China) –Streaming Event (via. Experimental Sound Studio – Chicago/U.S.)
The Killing Popes w. Oli Steidle (comp, drums), Dan Nicholls (keyboards, comp), Frank Möbüs (guitar), Phil Donkin (bass), Philipp Gropper (tenor sax) – A-Trane Berlin
James Banner’s USINE w. James Banner (comp, bass & electronics), Max Andrzejewski (dr) & Declan Forde (piano) – Jazzfestival Saalfelden
PILED UP by Tanrıkulu w. Simon Jermyn (guitar), Nick Dunston (bass, electronics) & Lukas König (drums & electronics) – premiere – Jazzfestival Saalfelden
Cansu Tanrıkulu invites Dan Nicholls & Otis Sandsjö – Jazzfestival Saalfelden
Sofia Jernberg invites Cansu Tanrıkulu & Nick Dunston – Jazzfestival Saalfelden
Nick Dunston’s Skultura – A’LARME! Festival Berlin & Leipziger Jazztage
Nate Wooley: “Seven Storey Mountain VI” – Jazzfest Berlin
Tanrikulu/Cohen/Delius + Marc Ribot – Jazzfest Berlin
Tanrikulu/Cohen/Tsalikov – Leipziger Jazztage
MeoW (Jim Black, Liz Kosack & Dan Peter Sundland) – Jazzfest Berlin
Anthony Braxton’s Sonic Genome – Jazzfest Berlin
Melez (w. Elias Stemeseder & Jim Black) – Jazzfest Berlin
Max Andrzejewski’s Hütte & Guests Play Robert Wyatt’s Music – Enjoy Jazz Festival & Leipziger Jazztage